Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mastering the Art of Juggling

It's been over three weeks since I've lost blogged. I have no excuse. None at all.
Well, actually, I have plenty of excuses, I am a teenage student after all, but none of them good enough to spew out to random readers. Somehow I don't think my dog ate my laptop flies anymore.
On the bright side, my dog did not eat my laptop. I have just been incredibly busy now that school has started up again. These last ten days back here have been one whirlwind after the other, no joke. Dealing with people-in-my-life drama, school, family and other things has already stretched me pretty thing and Week 2 isn't even over yet! I keep telling myself that it's only 16 more weeks until Summer Break, just 16 and then I will be free, free, FREE!
That sounds awful, doesn't it? It's January and I'm already counting down until summer. It's not that I'm a bad student, I'm not. It's more of the fact that at this moment in my life I have no idea what I want. I have dreams - these colossal things that eat away at all the day dreaming space in my brain - but I have no solid plan. I understand I don't necessarily need one, that it would even be a bad idea to tie myself down with overambitousness. But here's the thing.
Most of you know that I write. And if you don't, then let me tell you.
I write. A lot. As in pretty much all the time. I write during classes, sometimes during lunch, definitely in the middle of the night when I can't fall asleep. No, I'm not crazy. I've just got these feisty little things called ideas in my head that might cause me to spontaneously combust if I don't let them out.
Okay, maybe I'm a little bit crazy.
My point is this: trying to be a (decent) student and write at the same time is hard! Trying to do anything while trying to write is hard.
I'm sure other writers feel the same way. There's always just one more thing that needs to be done, just one little errand or chore or ridiculous set of Philosophy Logic homework problems to solve. My first whole month at school, I was trying to finish up a writing project and seemed to neglect my studies. Then, the rest of the semester, I chose to focus more on school (Ha! Yeah, well can pretend I did) but remember those ideas? The tried to poison me.
While I did come back to second semester with the same idea (school over writing), I'm afraid it isn't quite working out like that. I have two major WIP's going on and I'm afraid that if I don't get them written out now, I never will. So where does that leave me with my schoolwork?
It-gets-done-but-not-in-an-orderly-or-timely-way. That's where.
But I've decided recently (as in the last week) that I will no longer let one or the other dominate. I am a capable young woman - or so I like to think - and there is no reason why I can't take on two things at once. Yes there are deadlines for school, quizzes to study for, textbooks to read but that doesn't mean I need to neglect my love to write. I think the solution is being able to manage your time. What works for me is telling myself I will do a couple hours of schoolwork and then reward myself with an hour or certain number of words on the writing end. Telling myself that there is no need to write during class if I wake up an hour earlier and write then. Or that it probably isn't necessary to keep on top of every single TV show I like to watch (I say this as Dance Moms is open in another tab).
When it comes to apples and oranges and flaming swords, I am a truly terrible juggler. I'm apt to poke someone's eye out. Which is why I usually don't attempt it.
However, when it comes to textbooks and dialogue, late night classes and character development, I have a feeling practice makes perfect.
But for now I think I'll keep my distance from the flaming objects.

~M. T. Rossi

No comments:

Post a Comment