Monday, December 12, 2011

Friendships: Disney Princess Style

It's the beginning of finals week. Otherwise known as: the week in which my brain goes on strike against everything I've learned this year, throws out all useful information, and then locks the door when I try to put the info back in. It's been a long couple of days. Two exams tomorrow, one on Wednesday, one on Thursday and then I am gloriously free for an entire month. There are many thing I am looking forward to doing over break. Like sleeping. And going to my favorite gym. And...I actually haven't thought past those things.
Anyway, I was lying in bed last night at about two in the morning, unable to fall asleep due to a foot injury and lack of prescription drugs. Kidding about that last part. Kind of...
My mind wandered as minds tend to do at two in the morning and it stopped it's gallivanting when it reached my pictures that are hung on my wall (you can see just how far my mind is capable of wandering). More than a few times, I've had to explain several pictures to people here at school and what never fails to amaze me is the downright complexity of my many friendships. Seriously, I am such a lucky person to have so many great friends and it's really hard to categorize using the typical best friend, not best friend, acquaintance, classmate, enemy spectrum. So naturally, I turned to a more practical means of organizing: Disney movie characters. You're interested aren't you? Yeah, if you're procrastinating from more studying like me, my revelation here just became your new best friend. You're welcome.
So it goes like this. I have several best friends and when I say that, I'm being honest (When explaining high school friendships to a college friend it went like this: "Oh yeah my best friend is _____. Oh wait! I also have _____ who is my best friend. But _____ and _____ are also my best friends).
From here on out, my best friends will now be thought of as Disney Princesses. There's Ariel, Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, Jasmine, Pocahontas. And yes, I do know who is who but I'm not giving away names ;)
Those are the easy ones. Then there's someone who is family but really is also a best friend so I decided she would be like Rapunzel from Tangled who is a recent day princess in my opinion and fits right in with as a not so standard best friend.
But what about all those friends who are your good friends but not really best friends? I mean, c'mon, they can't all be princesses. No worries, I figured that out last night too. These friends are akin to the sidekicks of the Disney Princesses: the seven dwarves, Flounder, Sebastian, Cinderella's mice...you get the idea. They love the princess, they'd do anything to help the princess, but you know, they're not princesses themselves.
You're probably thinking, but what about my guy best friends? Well, duh, they are the princes/male love interests (don't worry, you don't have to fall in love with them) so they are dubbed: Prince Eric, Flynn Rider, and I'm just gonna throw in John Smith because everyone likes to think of him.
And because I really don't want to go study biology and medieval music, I'm just gonna say that if you want to think about your enemies as the "bad guys" aka evil witches (Ursula, Cruella DeVil, The Queen, Maleficent) that's okay by me. I will not confirm or deny whether I think of certain people this way. I'll just leave you with your own thoughts on that one.
So what do you think? Was I on target? Do you agree with my careful planning of my friend-life?
I actually don't really care what you think (remember, it's finals week) but I thought these carefully posed questions might add some authenticity to this blogpost since the rest of it is kind of ludicrous. There's a good chance it doesn't make any sense (I just spent 6 hours debating abortion and learning the Shapely Shubik voting method) but I hope you had fun reading it cause I kinda had fun thinking of it.
You know, in a it's-two-in-the-morning-and-I-really-just-wanna-sleep kind of way.

~M. T. Rossi

1 comment:

  1. Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment and following your blog here.

    Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog and following me back too.

    ReplyDelete