Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Favorite Time of Year

How cliche is that title? Very. And perhaps not so truthful as I really do like the month of June when I can run around barefoot and take the dog for long meandering walks along the gorge. But since the time of NorthFace jackets, pumpkin flavored everything and a whole month off of school has arrived, I've chosen to embrace it with open arms. Right now, for instance, I'm extraordinarily happy. I spent the day at the mall, bought a new CD, ate a meal that actually filled me up and there's a puppy laying on top of my laptop. No seriously, there is.

Told you so.
Do you have any idea how hard it is to type around that face?
No, I'm not in my dorm room. Thank God. I'm somewhere east of school hanging out with family. These weekend getaways happen to be one of the reasons school is so bearable at this time of year.
As I mentioned before, I went shopping today. At the mall. For multiple hours. I was so proud of myself. I told myself I was going out to start my Christmas shopping and that I would be a good present buyer and start nice and early this year instead of waiting for the last minute like usual. Did that happen?
Of course not. Don't be ridiculous.
Instead, I walked away with a Forever 21 bag full of a shirt that now belongs to ME. Same with Target. Except with a CD instead of a shirt. Said CD is playing on my laptop and making me even more extremely happy. But that's not the point of this. The point of this blogpost, I suppose, is just to welcome in the new season that always seems to approach so fast but then takes so long to end. That sentence didn't make sense.
But here I am, welcoming in the twisted peppermint and fire place scented candles (the latter smelled awful!), gazing up in wonder at the thirty foot Christmas trees and 'aw-ing' at the little kids on Santa's lap. This time of year always makes me feel so hopeful and my big dreams always become wilder. I'm not sure what it is but there's just something about curling up in bed with sweats and fuzzy socks and watching a movie.
In ten short days, I get to head home for Thanksgiving *insert squeal here* and if you can't tell, I'm beyond excited. My doggy, my bed and my parents are all waiting for me not to mention the turkey, mashed potatoes and cranberry relish that I'll eat too much of. And er, the fact I may have, er, signed up to run a race on Thanksgiving morning. No, I've never run a race before but this is what happens when your whole family has no interest in watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Wish me luck.
Three weeks after that, I get to go home for a whole month!! So. Friggin. Excited.
Anyway, the cousin has just turned on Beauty and the Beast and I hear Aladdin is up next. There's a dish of chocolate sitting behind me and I can hear the puppy barking in the yard.
Yep, life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Any time of the year that is warm is a great time of year for me (Not looking forward to winter AT ALL).

    Look at that cute puppy face. how the heck do you write? I'd be too busy petting all the fur off that head. So cute.

    Sounds like you're having a great time. And Beauty and the Beast is awesome.

    Consider yourself stalked! I'll be back around soon.

    ReplyDelete