Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Authors: The Real Teachers

Some kids look up to their parents as role models, some look up to celebrities and some look up to fictionalized superheroes. Hey, whatever works, right?
Not me. I looked up to books. Well, I thought I did. But as I grew older and inifintely wiser, I realized these books weren't writing themselves. That there were actual normal (well, human at least) everyday people creating these masterpieces. I think thats when it dawned on me that my dream of being a writer could perhaps someday turn into a reality. But not before I learned some very important lessons from some of the best in the field.

From Sarah Dessen I learned that young love is indeed real.

Maggie Stiefvater taught me how to write angst and use my words hauntingly.

It is Libba Bray I can blame for my love-hate relationship with the present tense. Ms. Bray also gave me the overwhelming satisfaction of being able to meet one of my childhood heroes :)

Judy Blume assured me I was never alone through the awkward stages and beyond.

Beverly Cleary taught me the importance of chaptering.

Ann Brashares spelled out the meaning of friendship with a pair of pants...genius.

It was Sarah Mlynowski's books that taught me to write in the first person...and become addicted to it.

Richelle Mead taught me the utter importance of having a kickass main character.

Cornelia Funke opened me up to the fantastic and dangerous world of fantasy. I haven't been the same since.

Love triangles and futuristic ravage came from Suzanne Collins.

Markus Zusak who taught me that all those literary devices I learned in freshman English can be put into beautiful, beautiful use.

Scott Westerfeld who introduced me to Science Fiction and made it not so scary and confusing.

Stephenie Meyer taught me that it doesn't always have to be complicated; simplicity works too.

Jennifer Lynn Barnes taught me originality and gave me hope that maybe I really can publish something before I am thirty.

J.K. Rowling was there the whole time I grew up and gave me my first childhood crush and role model.

It doesn't end here. Every single book out there that I've read (and there's quite a few) has had an immense impact on me, whether it be negative or positive, happy or disgusted; whatever it is, I only have the authors to thank.

So really, after all this, how could someone NOT be inspired to write? These authors created my best friends, confidants, enemies and family. They opened the doors to my own creativity, taught me respect and admiration and fostered my love for all things literary. But the biggest reason I need to say thank you?
They were the ones who ultimately built my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment